First Time at Front Sight

We arrived early the first day of our four day defensive handgun course. Here’s how your first day of training at Front Sight in NV will unfold

First Time at Front Sight

In November of 2006 we attended our first course at Front Sight, NV. Their website does a great job of explaining the procedures of check in, so we had a pretty good idea of what we were going to be doing. Here are some pictures we took along the way on that first day.

We arrived early the first day of our four day defensive handgun course. We waited at the gate for a few minutes while those a head of us were greeted and given instructions on how / where to proceed

We parked near the classroom at the center of the facility and got our gear ready for check in

We had clear instructions on how to ‘Check In’ for our course. We had our pistol, mag pouch, ID and a box of factory ammo.

We collected our gear, and got in line for ‘Check In’

First we signed in and were assigned a classroom / range

A nice touch was writing our names twice on white tape. One for the front and one for the back. Many of us put the tape on our hats, others on their shirts This arrangement was very helpful for both instructors and other students. It was helpful too for safety, being called by name is always easier to hear

After signing in we proceeded to the ‘Dressing Area’ where our holsters and mag pouches were inspected. If they were damaged or not working we had the option of renting or buying gear at the Pro Shop which was open during the ‘Check In’ as well as during most breaks, lunches and after classes each day.

Last stop was ‘Weapons Inspection’. One of the instructors would remove our weapon and check it for functionality, safety and cleanliness

The ‘Check In’ was painless and reassuring that all the students were on the same page and with safe equipment. We were directed to the classroom after check in to await the welcome / intro and assignment of ranges

The empty classroom was impressive, as it filled up we knew this was no simple operation. We could tell we were in store for some professional training

Before the welcome started we checked out the Pro Shop. Gear for the classes and some hard to find (in stock) items were available. Blade Tech holsters are rarely stocked but here at the pro shop there was a variety available. I picked up a BladeTech for my G22.

Lights, mags, ammo, training gear and holsters were all available at normal retail prices. Members of Front Sight we given a discount on most items. Rental gear and training materials (books, targets, etc) were available along with Front Sight logo shorts, hats, etc

The welcome / intro assembly stared and we were introduced to our instructors and given a brief timeline of our classes for the next few days

We all signed liability wavers (of course) and were given a welcome package with handouts for the lectures and class schedules

After the welcome assembly we walked to our ranges. Handgun classes were close by, shotgun, rifle and sub gun classes were held further down the parking lot at the longer distance ranges

As we entered our ranges, we signed in again for a final class count of 38. People went to their cars, used the facilities. So while we assembled those who arrived first had a few minutes to introduce themselves and chat before the class started. The names on the tape we all wore helped out right away

Courses are run in outdoor range / classrooms. But these are not the typical run down outdoor range. The facilities are new, well maintained and comfortable. We sat under shade / rain cover because classes are held in any weather. It only rained once during our class, for just a few moments but we hardly noticed it.

Our class was almost full at 38 students. We have 20 shooting lanes and we doubled up with another student as each others coaches. So for our class there was one lane empty. We started out slow with safety, procedures and range commands, We were soon all on the same page and headed to the line to start our hands on practice drills.

Class size is about right. Large enough to be practical for the school, but not so large that we had trouble hearing (with electronic ears) or were concerned about safety. We all learned how to safely draw and prepare for Dry Practice (practice without ammo)

Our first day was full of practice drills and lectures. It ended just before dark, and we all got back into our vehicles and drove back to town (most of us stayed in Parump)

We had some homework, to do dry practice, and had a good idea of how intense and educational our training would be.